Friday, July 31, 2015

Guide to: Venice



Venice is such an amazing place - Made up of hundreds of tiny islands connected by bridges. How cool is it that the main mode of transportation is by boat?

Stay: 3 nights. I ended up at an adorable bed and breakfast called Residenza Degli Angeli. They had the great restaurant recommendations and even gave me a history lesson about Venice. Did you know: There is no map of Venice (even Google) that is correct. I was told that since there are hundreds of tiny alleys, no map has correctly been able to document all them.

Eat:

  • Great wine, great price at Bacareto da lele - I stumbled upon this place the first day. The best part about it was that the wine was only a few cents. This place was tiny and had no seating so I sat on steps leading into the canal and enjoyed my drink. 
  • The best cheese and meat plate of the trip goes to Hotel Carlton. I enjoyed a bottle of wine with cheese, honey, and a variety of meat on their rooftop bar which overlooks the Grand Canal. 
  • Best cicchetti in town at Osteria al Squero. This place was also pretty tiny, but so worth it! I enjoyed a variety of tasty baguette with meat and cheese toppings at such an affordable price. 
  • Best Venice dinner was at Santa Croce. The great service was amazing, the staff was friendly, and the made the best Venice pizza. 
  • Harry's Bar bellini, though expensive, was most amazing bellini I ever tasted! It cost $14 but due to popular demand, I had to try it. Plus, the overly priced drink comes with free snacks, so why not? 
Dont Miss:
  • Blue Moon beach on Lido. This was a longer boat ride, but it was nice to get away from the crowds of tourist. I rented a chair for the day which came along with a free shower and bathroom token. 
  • I highly recommend taking the boat to the Island of Burano. It's one of the prettiest little towns with each building in a different color! Also, Island of Murano, known for glass making, is very close as well. See a glass blowing demonstration and buy some souvenirs. 
  • Gondola. Unfortunately, I missed this one myself... It rained the last day which is when I planned to go. 
Skip:
  • St. Mark's Square is basically bird heaven. There wasn't much to see other than selfie stick vendors and scaffolding over the buildings. 
Highlight: Purchasing a Venetian mask from the cutest little shop called La Mascareta Venezia. They are all hand made by the shop owner.

Get around: I bought the 3-day, unlimited Vaporetto pass. Though sometimes crowded (more like always crowded), it was the only mode of transportation other than walking. I don't recommend walking due to the map issue, unless of course you don't mind getting lost. Also, keep an eye on your bag. I heard horror stories from other tourists about getting their bag swiped while on the boat.

Pack: Finally, summer clothing!

  • 7 summer dresses (which I wore between Venice, Rome, Capri) 
  • 4 sandals - but make sure they have a wedge or are flat because it's hard to walk on the cobble stone. 
  • A light sweater for at night

       

       
Check out what I did each day while visiting Venice. On that page, scroll down for a day to day itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment