Friday, July 31, 2015

Guide to: Capri





Capri was so beautiful- Rocky mountains filled with while buildings and cobble stone pathways. I loved being able to wake up in the morning and look down at the ocean. After walking miles in Paris, Venice, and Rome, it was a relief to be able to relax by the pool.

Stay: 2 nights. I stayed both nights at a hotel called Casa Morgano. It had 2 pools, a gym, and beautiful view (oh, and free breakfast!)

Eat: My 2 favorite meals of the whole trip were in Capri! Read about them below

  • I took a private boat tour around the Island of Capri (read more below), but the captain provided lunch and snacks. He brought fresh basil, tomato, and capers from his home garden. The capers were home pickled and I dream about them everyday! He made caprese salad and we ate capers and crackers while we sailed around. Oh, the captain also gave us his homemade white wine! Note: You can book this tour by making a reservation at the below restaurant. The restaurant and boat tour are family owned. 
  • Da Paolino Lemon Tree! This meal is tied with the meal above for best food of the trip. Da Paolino is placed in the middle of a lemon orchard and surrounded by all things lemon from the setting, to the table decor and plates. We ate lemon flavored pasta under lemon trees, and don't forget to order the lemon sorbet for dessert! It comes in a frozen, hollowed out lemon. Besides the amazing location of this restaurant, the food was extremely delicious too! Not to mention, I saw Mariah Carey and some famous soccer player, so it must be that good. 
  • I'm not the biggest fan, but while in Capri, you must try Limoncello. Capri is known for their lemon orchards, so try it straight from the source 
Don't miss:
  • More on the private boat ride; I rented a boat for 4.5 hours which included lunch (explained above). It was so cool having a boat to myself for the day. We sailed from grotto to grotto and even took a break to jump into the ocean. The captain provided floaties and snorkel gear. We had the opportunity to swim through the grottos but due to choppy water, I passed. This was such a great way to see the island while relaxing and snacking on homegrown, fresh veggies. 
  • Capri is known for their handmade sandals, so I definitely wanted to pick up a pair while on the island. There are tons of shops on the island but the hotel recommended Ragozzino Shoes. The walls were lined with colorful straps and different leather bottoms to choose from. I settled on green straps with metal details. The shop owner made them in front of my eyes and it only took about 10 mins! 
Skip:
  • The Blue Grotto was a touristy mess. Tons of tourists lined up on land and in boats to make their way through the grotto. Being slightly scared of deep water, I opted out of this experience. We were expected to pay more money to go into the grotto and there was a huge wait. Instead, we checked out the white and green grotto, which were just as pretty. 
Highlight: Getting handmade sandals! I loved being able to choose the bedding, heel hight, and leather strap style and color. I will forever remember Capri and the sparkling blue ocean when I look down at my sandals.

Get around: There is a chairlift and public bus that will take you from the ferry to the top of Capri (and vise-versa). But, other than that, the only transportation is by foot. The cobblestone paths are so narrow no car would fit.

Pack:

  • 7 summer dresses (which I wore between Venice, Rome, Capri) 
  • 4 sandals - I brought one with a mini heel to dress them up for nice dinner 
  • 3 bathing suits 
  • 1 cover up 
      
 
 
     

Check out what I did each day while visiting Capri. On that page, scroll down for a day to day itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment